Running the Edge

Monday, July 7, 2014

A few weeks ago, I went to a running camp in Culver, Indiana. I have been attending this camp for six years now and this year there was a special college group. I always learn a lot at camp and meet many good friends from across the state. I enjoy going to camp and learning from some of the best runners in the country. This year, Adam Goucher, Tim Catalano and Amy Yoder Begley were the featured speakers. I found this year to be the best year yet! If you do not know, Adam Goucher went to college at the University of Colorado and went on to compete in the 2000 Olympic Games. He referred to himself as Mrs. Kara Goucher. He was a very inspiring person. Goucher and his friend Tim Catalano, who also ran at the University of Colorado, created a book together titled Running the Edge. Their book is full of various stories from running experiences and teaches the reader to become a better runner and lead a better life. I have been trying to read a chapter of the book a day and fill out my journal I made for myself as I read along. The neat thing about their book is that at the end of each chapter there are questions to ask yourself and write down. I think that writing after reading something is a good way to remember what I just read and help apply it to my life.

This is the book Goucher and Catalano wrote.
The past two years I have ordered the Believe I Am training journal made by Lauren Fleshman(one of my favorite elite runners) and Roisin McGettigan. I took my training journal everywhere. To every cross country meet, vacation, and camping trip. I am a firm believer in writing my thoughts and training down. I liked this journal because it was goal oriented and had motivational, inspiring quotes on every page. This journal became very popular and now it is sold out. So, there I was with one month left in my journal and I didn't feel like switching journals. I was too attached to my trusty Believe journal. I had to do something, so I decided to make myself my own journal! It took some time, but I am proud of the end result.
This is my new journal. I love the orange chevrons they are a perfect fit for my school colors!
I hope that everyone has a great week! I am off to go backpacking in the Grand Canyon and at Zion National Park this week. Look forward to photos and to hear about the adventure sometime next week! Does anyone have a favorite place they like to go hiking at? If so share it with me!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments system

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs