What I Learned in 2014

Tuesday, December 30, 2014


Before the year started, I knew that this year would be one full of new experiences and changes.  I have grown up throughout the year and learned more about myself. One of the most challenging things I faced was leaving all of my friends and trying to stay in contact. I have so many wonderful people in my life and it was hard to not see my friends every day. We all grow up and change through the years, but everyone I have met has left a lasting impression on me. When I was thinking about what to write about, I thought it would be fun to make a list of a few things that I have learned since I have been in college. 
  1. Join a club- I made a goal to join two to three clubs
  2. Keep important notes from high school- AP English pays off in college
  3. Never forget your room key- the door does lock behind you when you least expect it
  4. Take advantage of the on campus food stores- the grocery can wait
  5. Your student ID is your new best friend
  6. Make friends in all of your classes, they provide great help
  7. Never EVER forget your stretching rope for practice, especially do not forget it on the stretching demo day
  8. Explore different floors on the library
  9. If you run cross country, chocolate milk and granola bars are a necessity
  10. Watching Ellen Degeneres for fifteen minutes before your 2 hour class makes the class a bit more bearabale
  11. Try different note taking methods
  12. Letters from friends can brighten your whole day
  13. Seeing a dog on campus makes your heart happy
  14. Phone calls to your parents and grandma can make your day that much better
  15. Take some relaxation for yourself
Some of the things I have learned are more valuable than others, but every mistake you make helps you grow and become a better person. 

On the other hand, I have been enjoying my break at home. It is really nice to sleep in my own bed, bake, make pancakes, see my friends and family, and see my pets. My roommate, Rachel, told me that the Divergent series were really interesting, so I told her that I would read the Divergent book over break. I finished the book in two days and I had to get the second one as quickly as possible. The books are similar to the the Hunger Games, which I also enjoyed. 

I am not one to have many apps on my cell phone, but one of my high school teachers(thanks Miss Parker) showed me this nifty app called WordSwag. I have been putting in some of my favorite quotes and photos into the app. I'm going to print a couple off to hang around my room. 


This is one of my favorite quotes.

I took this photo on my trip to the Grand Canyon.
     
This is a photo of my high school teammates
and I before our Semi-State race.




One last item I wanted to share is this project that I have been working on the past month. I have tried to take a photo each day for the year and I only made it about 15 days. I then tried to take photo every day for a month, but I missed the first day of the month, so when I stumbled across a 30 day drawing challenge on Pinterest, I had to give it a try.
Today was my last day. I completed it!!

Here are some of my best drawings:




I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday break. Happy New Year! 




3 comments :

  1. So many great lessons learned this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this! You're a gift, Elena!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that AP English is helping you at Bowling Green. I hope you're having a great semester, Elena.

    ReplyDelete

Comments system

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs