Roaming around Rome

Saturday, May 23, 2015

We woke up earlier yesterday to head to the Vatican City. It was quite the eventful way to arrive to the other side of Rome. We took the Metro train during rush hour like the typical Italian. When the train arrived, it was packed full of people. We all had to push ourselves inside the train like sardines. I've never been standing so close to so many people in my life. It was quite the experience! After about ten minutes of hoping that I did not fall out of the train at each stop we arrived at our destination. Luckily, since we were a school group we had reserved a tour guide and skipped the enormous line to enter the Vatican. 


We had an English speaking tour guide who lead us around the Vatican. There were many beautiful courtyards full of sculptures and other relics. 


We strolled through the many museum buildings. We even went to the room where museum derives from. The room is inside the Vatican and houses the nine muses. The muses are from Greek mythology and each is musically talented.

The first thing I glanced at in each room was the ceiling. Each ceiling was uniquely different from the next. 


The precise detail and artwork that spills across each ceiling is awe striking. I cannot imagine having to crane my neck to paint such intricate designs.

I enjoyed seeing each different museum room and the various relics inside each. 

This was a tomb for the wife of Constantine. 


In one of the hallways maps of Italy lines the walls. Each map focused on a different Italian region. 


This is a painting by Rapheal of The School of Athens. In the center Aristotle and Plato walk down the stairs. It was hard to get a good picture because the room was crowded with people. In the left corner Rapheal made an addition to the painting by including Michelangelo. He honored Michelangelo by including him with such prestigious scholars. Raphael even included himself in the far right corner. 

After viewing this painting we made our way to the Sistine Chapel. There are no photos allowed inside the room, so I do not have any photos of the chapel. It was a bit of a rush once we made it inside because guards were pushing us along. I tried my best to view the ceiling and appreciate Michelangelo's work. It took him four years to paint the gorgeous ceiling depicting the events of The Bible.

After we exited the chapel we were right next to Saint Peter's Basilica. We had a very short amount of time to spend inside the basilica. I made sure to walk around the whole church. I saw Michelangelo's Pieta, a sculpture of Mary with Jesus draped across her lap. This is Michelangelo's only work in which he carved his name. The story goes that Michelangelo overheard pilgrims say that someone else had sculpted this work, so he wanted to ensure people knew he did. 


Behind the main alter is a window carved out of bronze by the sculptor Bernini. 


I really enjoyed this piece of work. 

My group all met up outside the basilica to head back to where our hotel was. We all were feeling very fatigued and hungry after our long tour. I had a tasty salad and headed back for a nap. 


I did some homework and read a little bit before a few of us went to get dinner. We all shared laughs and enjoyed our meal together.

I hope everyone has a spectacular day today! I'm on my way to the Amalfi coast now!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments system

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs