My Perspective on Body Image

Friday, November 20, 2015

In my women's studies class, we had the choice to make a story or write short blog posts throughout the semester. I chose to write a short, picture book about body image and self-confidence directed at young preschool age girls. I presented my story to the preschoolers this morning and I really enjoyed the experience of sharing something I created with them. The inspiration for my picture book about body image and self-confidence spurred from the constant struggle that women in my sport have with body image and self-confidence. Every day I am faced with many women in my sport who are smaller than I am and who confidently run in their sports bras at practice. I am someone who is not always confident in my body and I have struggled with loving my body for the way it is. I wanted to create my book for a younger age group of girls because I did not want them to grow up and face the same struggles that I have observed and faced myself. I hope that by targeting a younger audience, I can instill in these young girls self-confidence and positivity about the bodies they have. I want girls to feel proud of the bodies they have and understand how powerful their body is. Many women under appreciate their bodies and all of the amazing capabilities that our bodies have. Our bodies help to carry us through each day, create life, and perform the many talents that each of us is gifted with. I desire that young girls grow up loving who they are and the bodies they have. If you are interested in reading the story I created, here is a link: https://storybird.com/books/i-am-perfectly-me-2/. 

Thank you for reading! Enjoy your day today. 




3 comments :

  1. I LOVE this Elena and also that you were able to share it with preschoolers yourself! How important and wonderful. I am so PROUD of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. I love this, Elena!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carly! It really means a lot!

      Delete

Comments system

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs