Staying Safe on the Run

Sunday, December 11, 2016



Running and the roads sometimes just don't mix. Staying safe while running next to large vehicles or trying to avoid tripping over roots isn't always easy, but it is something that is very important for one whether one is running in a local neighborhood or running in the middle of a big city. Sometimes when I am running in a familiar area I get in the zone and just run, which can be healthy, but it can also lower my senses to certain dangers that I should be more aware of. One of the biggest threats to be aware of is of drivers who may be backing out of a driveway or turning into a driveway from the road. I always try my best to be aware of drivers even when they are not aware of me. This is something that my teammates and I are constantly conscious of for each other because one of us may see a car coming, but another may not.

Last month was National Running Safety month, but it is always important to be aware on the run, and Vegas.com is working to help carry on the conversation about running safety. 

Here of some tips that I try to use to stay safe on the run no matter where I am. 

1.   Run with someone or find a local group to run with

2.   If you are running alone, tell someone what time you left to run, where you’re going and when you will be back. I sometimes leave a post-it note for my roommate or family letting them know when I left. 

3.  Write your name, emergency contact and other important health information in the sole of your shoe. OR Check out: Road ID

4.  Carry your phone with you. I typically do not do this, but if you are more comfortable having your phone with you, then by all means bring it!

 5.   If running at night wear bright, reflective colors. Invest in gear such as a headlight or reflective running gear

6.   Change up your running route if you run the same route every day at the same time as others may figure this out. 

7.   Run where you feel most comfortable. If I am running in a new location I always try to find a route that is commonly used by runners, even if it may not be the most scenic. 

8.   If you are running in a new location carry a map with you or plan out your route before you head out the door. As I am sure my dad can attest, I have made plenty of wrong turns when we have gone out to run when on vacation. When I ran at Mt. Rainer a few summers ago, the path I was on crossed the road and it mysteriously disappeared. I'm pretty sure I ran up and down the same trail five times because I was convinced the right trail would should up. It never did, so I asked a friendly couple for some help. 

9.   ALWAYS run on the left side of the road, unless the road has many blind turns and it would be safer to run on the right side. 

10.  Try to avoid listening to music when running, especially in a highly populated area   with traffic. I am not a fan of running with music as I would much rather be in tune with nature and my surroundings. Don't get me wrong I love to listen to some good tunes before a big race or workout, but a long run in the middle of a busy area is not the time. 

I hope your next run is a great and safer one! Enjoy your day!

Thanks to Vegas.com for continuing such an important conversation and keeping us 
runners safe. Good luck to those who are running in Las Vegas later this month! After  
your race, be sure to check out these great Vegas deals!



No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments system

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs